Tuesday, February 8, 2011

The Chronicles...

So, the story starts like this... just moved to Chelsea in New York City to my roommate cute and cozy apartment from Ohio. It is my first week in the city and my roommate, lets name her EMay, just sent me to a great market in Chelsea called the Westside Market located at 77 7th Ave New York, NY 10011 (between 14th St. and 15th St.) and it is open from 7 am- midnight.



Westside Market is a great staple to this neighborhood. There are 3 locations in NYC and it is a local family owned and operated Market. This was an important factor for me because supporting the local economy is always a great way to give back to your community. The owner John Zoitas came from Greece and wanted to provide the freshest and highest quality ingredients that he could at his Market. I could totally see his commitment to his customers, the market is filled with great fruits and vegetables, a wonderful selection of cheeses, and home made pre-prepared foods. Maria Zoitas is the Chef who prepares all of the mouth watering pre-prepared foods which looked derrricious (have not been able to try them yet but will do soon). It seems like everything in the Westside Market is prepared with love which is a very important factor in making food GREAT!

So, I was making a great Asian inspired peanut salad with tofu for EMay (remember my roommate) and it just so happens that I had bought a Tillamook Cheese from Oregon from the Westside Market. We got to talking and to our surprise we both love stinky cheeses and decided we are going to eat our way through the Westside Market cheese department. Then she mentioned that we should blog about our experience and *ding ding* I was like totally! Our love of stinky cheeses and our love of the Westside Market is what created the Stinky Cheese Chronicles. EMay is now my partner in crime for the Chronicles and we hope to not gain too much weight from our experience... good thing I just joined a gym in NYC this morning! 


So the writer of the Stinky Cheese Chronicles is me, T, and I just graduated from culinary school from the Art Institutes. I have my bachelors in Culinary Management and have just moved to NYC to intern at the... Food Network... YAY!!!!  I worked as a garde manger and pastry chef at a restaurant called Table 5 in Northville, MI and worked at The Lark in West Bloomfield, MI which were two great experiences that have helped me in my culinary adventure this far. I also worked at the Art Institute of Michigan as a co-manager/student instructor at The Great Lakes Bistro, a student ran learning kitchen where students learn about the front of house managerial experience and back of house culinary experiences.

Enough about me... let's start The Stinky Cheese Chronicles...


 

The Locations-

Westside Market NYC 

2840 Broadway

(Upper Westside Morning Heights,
between 110th St. & Broadway)
New York, NY 10025
........................
Westside Market NYC 

2171 Broadway

(Upper Westside, between 76th St & 77th St)
New York, NY 10024  
........................ 
Westside Market NYC

77 7th Avenue
(Chelsea, between 14th St & 15th St)
New York NY, 10001
........................

Great Lakes Bistro

28125 Cabot Drive
Novi, MI 48377

 http://www.yelp.com/biz/great-lakes-bistro-the-art-institute-of-michigan-novi



"Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese"


1 comment:

  1. This is a great idea and I like where this is going. Keep it coming and good luck with your stinky cheese chronicles!

    P.S. Maybe Rob and I can comment on wino experiences/selections to accommodate your stinky cheese :)

    ReplyDelete